What Are Some Common Reasons Companies are Sued?
If your company is sued, you need to get in touch with a California Corporate Litigation Attorney immediately. A lawsuit could damage the reputation of your business, could cost you money to defend against, and could result in a verdict against your business and in favor of the plaintiff. You need to be proactive and take smart steps immediately to reduce the chances your company could end up losing a case or becoming embroiled in lengthy and damaging litigation.
Brown & Charbonneau, LLP can provide invaluable assistance in responding to a lawsuit against your business. Our legal team understands the common reasons why companies are sued, and we provide representation in both simple and complex civil claims made against business.
We will work hard to resolve the litigation in a quick, cost-effective manner to protect the short-term interests and long-term goals of your business. Give us a call today to find out more.
What are Some Common Reasons Companies are Sued?
Companies are sued for many different reasons, and the response to a lawsuit is going to depend upon the nature of the claim made against your business. Lawsuits commonly arise against companies when:
- Suppliers or consumers believe that the company has breached a contract.
- Shareholders believe the company misled the public about the company’s financial situation.
- Companies or individuals claim your organization has infringed upon their intellectual property rights.
- Employees claim discrimination, violations of wage-and-hour laws, or wrongful termination.
- Customers or other visitors to company property claim they sustained an injury as a result of a negligent failure to maintain the safety of the property.
- Customers claim that they suffered harm when using the company’s product as a result of a product defect.
- Customers claim that the services provided fell below a professional standard of care in situations where the company or individuals are subject to malpractice or professional negligence claims.
- Employees are negligent while performing work duties and victims who sustain injury due to the negligence pursue claims against companies under agency rules.
If your company is sued for these reasons, or if any other claims are made against your business organization, you need to be prepared to aggressively defend your interests so you can fight the claims made against you. The plaintiff has the burden of proving the allegations made when a civil suit is filed and generally must show by a preponderance of the evidence that your company did something wrong.
There are many different defenses you could potentially raise, or approaches you could take in response to allegations raised by a plaintiff. You need to make certain your Orange County corporate litigation attorney has defended clients in similar cases in the past and is prepared to fight for the best outcomes for your business.
What Can Your Company Do if You are Sued?
If your company is sued, you can make the choice to settle the case if you don’t want the publicity and the uncertainty of a civil trial. If you settle, you are generally going to have to give up something to get the plaintiff to agree to drop the case against you. Usually, this involves paying a settlement to the plaintiff but the terms of the settlement agreement can vary depending upon the nature of the case.
Our legal team can provide you with assistance in determining if a settlement is an appropriate response to a lawsuit against your business organization. If you do not wish to settle, you can progress to a civil court proceeding. An Orange County corporate litigation attorney will help you to prepare to present evidence or introduce arguments in court aimed at either defending your business or making it impossible for the plaintiff to prove the case against you.
Getting Help from An Orange County Corporate litigation Attorney
Whatever the reason for a lawsuit against your company, there is a lot at stake. You need a dedicated and experienced legal advocate who is committed to helping your business organization to get the best outcome possible under the circumstances. Your experienced attorney should be ready to try to negotiate a settlement, argue for the case to be dismissed, or aggressively defend you in court. The right approach is going to depend upon the nature of the claim against you, and Brown & Charbonneau, LLP can help you to craft an effective legal strategy.
As soon as you find out you have been sued, give us a call at 714-505-3000 or contact us online to discover how our California corporate litigation attorneys can help you. Our legal team can get right to work to fight for your interests.