How a Huntington Bach Business Litigation Lawyer Helps Prepare for Court
A Huntington Beach business litigation lawyer provides invaluable assistance to companies who are suing someone, or who are being sued by someone. Litigation is a very complicated process, and the stakes can be very high for your business. You need to be as prepared as possible to make convincing arguments in order to try to get the court to make a decision in your favor. An attorney can help with the preparations.
Brown & Charbonneau, LLP has provided extensive assistance to companies in California involved in many different kinds of litigation, from breach of contract cases to employment litigation to intellectual property lawsuits.
We understand the rules of court procedure, the burden of proof needed to win legal cases, the remedies available in civil court, and more. We are committed to serving as strong advocates for our clients, and a big part of doing so is being as effective as possible in trial preparation. Give us a call at (866)237-8129 to find out more about how we can help your company to prepare for court.
Understanding Business Litigation
One of the primary things a Huntington Beach business litigation lawyer will do is to help you try to avoid court when possible. Whether your company is a plaintiff or a defendant, there are many situations in which it makes sense for you to try to negotiate a settlement instead of going to court. If your case is one in which settlement could provide you with a better outcome, more certainty, and lower costs, your attorney will do the very best job possible in trying to negotiate a fair settlement outside of a courtroom.
Some cases, however, won’t settle, either because a better outcome could be had in court, because you want your day in court, or because the opposing party is not reasonable. If your case does not settle and you proceed to litigation, you need to understand what your role is as either a plaintiff or a defendant.
Generally, in most civil court cases, plaintiffs have the burden of proving the claims they are making by a preponderance of the evidence, which means proving that more likely than not the claims against the defendant are true. Defendants have the burden of proving affirmative defenses they raise, but can also avoid an unfavorable verdict by making it impossible for a plaintiff to prove a claim.
Getting Help Preparing for Court During Business Litigation
Whether you are a plaintiff or a defendant, your focus in getting ready for court when you are involved in business litigation is going to involve understanding the evidence, putting together your own evidence, and preparing legal arguments. A Huntington Beach business litigation lawyer will help you in a number of ways including:
- Filing appropriate court motions and pleadings: You have to follow rules of civil procedure with all claims and requests that you file with the court. If someone sues your company, for example, you may want to make counter claims and will need to know the process for doing so.
- Requesting documents and information during discovery : Discovery is a phase before trial during which facts are collected and during which you can find out what evidence and information the other side has. You can request documents and other materials related to the case be produced, such as asking for emails.
- Preparing discoverable materials to turn over. You will also have to provide the opposing side with your own information and material that is relevant to the case.
- Interviewing witnesses. Depositions and interrogatories are used to find out what witnesses are going to say during trial. Your attorney can prepare questions and conduct interviews. Your attorney will also do witness prep with your witnesses to help make your case stronger.
- Conducting investigations. Your attorney may conduct investigations into the facts leading up to the business litigation.
- Finding expert witnesses: Expert witnesses testifying on your behalf could strengthen your case or bolster your defense.
- Researching case law: Your attorney will look at past cases to identify precedent that is favorable to you.
- Crafting legal arguments. Your attorney will find ways to present facts in a favorable light and to make convincing arguments to convince the court to rule in your favor.
These are just a few of the key tasks a Huntington Beach business litigation lawyer can do to help you prepare for court.
Contact a Huntington Beach Business Litigation Lawyer Today
A Huntington Beach business litigation lawyer at Brown & Charbonneau, LLP can provide help with all of your trial preparation so your company is ready for trial. Give us a call at (866)237-8129 or contact us online to find out more.