How Can You Make Divorce Easier for Kids?
A Newport Beach divorce lawyer will work closely with you to find ways to make the divorce process easier for children. While divorce is always a stressful life event both for parents and kids, there are steps you can take to try to reduce the upheaval and make the divorce process as pleasant as it can be. If keeping your kids comfortable and happy is the priority, you should explore all of your options for the most amicable divorce possible.
Brown & Charbonneau, LLP can provide assistance to parents who want to make the divorce process easy to maintain stability for children. Our legal team will assist you from the time you decide to end your marriage to find the solutions that are right for your family. Give us a call today to talk with a Newport Beach divorce lawyer about the ways in which we can help.
Tips to Make Divorce Easier for Kids
Kids Health provides some tips for making divorce easier for children. These tips include:
- Keeping conflict and legal talk away from children. Your kids do not need to see fighting or know the details of the divorce process.
- Trying to keep your children’s daily routine the same as much as possible. Whenever you can, parents should try to allow kids to continue doing their normal activities.
- Avoiding negativity around your children. If you are upset or angry, talk with a friend or therapist outside of your home and don’t expose your children to these emotions.
- Making sure each parent remains involved in the children’s lives whenever possible. Kids do better if they have a relationship with both of their parents.
- Talking with your children together as soon as you have made the decision to live apart. Don’t pass blame or act angry during the conversation. Make sure the children realize that the divorce or problems between their parents are not their fault. If your children are younger, keep the conversation simpler and make sure the message is tailored to their maturity level.
By taking these steps and making sure you do not act negatively or bad mouth the other parent in front of the children, you can help kids through the divorce process. Divorce can be difficult for children of all ages, and as parents, you need to put your children’s needs first during the process of dissolving your marriage.
Achieving an Amicable Divorce
One of the single most important things that you can do as a parent is to keep your divorce amicable so your children can count on the unified support of both of their parents. You need to be able to co-parent for a very long time after your divorce is final, and your children will do better if you can work together to raise them. It is much easier to do that if you do not have a bitter and angry divorce.
Litigation, by nature, is adversarial and is designed to increase resentment and anger among spouses who are dissolving their marriage. Instead of litigating your divorce, you should try to explore other solutions whenever possible. An attorney can help you to negotiate a divorce settlement and parenting agreement on your own outside of court, or through mediation in which a neutral third party helps you to achieve compromise. If you opt for collaborative divorce, in which a collaborative divorce coach assists you in reaching consensus on issues involved in deciding your marriage, your attorney can also help you to make this process work.
If you make the effort to work together, your children will never feel as if they are being put in the middle, forced to take sides, or forced into being disloyal to either parent. Your kids can see you are still a team and still able to be a family, just not on with married parents. It is worth making the effort as long as your spouse is also willing to try to compromise.
How a Newport Beach Divorce Lawyer Can Help
Divorce does not have to be acrimonious and it should not be if you have children. Brown & Charbonneau, LLP can provide you with comprehensive help in making sure your divorce process goes as smoothly as possible. By working with an experienced Newport Beach divorce lawyer to help you through, you can get divorced quickly and amicably and spare your kids stress and uncertainty. To learn more about the different ways in which we can help you as you end your marriage, give us a call at (866)237-8129 or contact us online.